Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Smother's Day

Yes, that says "Smother's!" We love "The Goldbergs" show, and the children in that show call their well-meaning and totally not embarrassing mother who loves them so very much "Smother." So it's a joke around our house because maybe someone who lives here resembles that character sometimes? I don't know. I don't see it.

After the ups and downs of the last week, the balance in the Georgia Force was restored, and she had a good weekend. The Listen to Your Mother show went off without a hitch, and I was really happy with my reading - got some hearty laughs and just the right amount of tears. Message received, I think. We had a nice lunch today with all of the grandparents and GG - who just turned 98 last week, and I got some wonderful handmade cards from my favorite people. We finished off the day at the movies with Captain America and friends. Perfect!


 
The St. Baldrick's Foundation and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society both shared this picture on Facebook this week. St. Baldrick's included a short poem Georgia wrote, and if you're on Instagram, you can hear her recite it here. LLS shared it on their advocacy page, with this quote from an email Momma Bear wrote to her senators and representative in Washington about a funding bill:


My LTYM piece, that picture, and the rain today all reminded me of Mother's Day six years ago, when Georgia was getting regular Erwinia shots after her allergic reaction to the PEG shots. This was my journal entry that day, and it still holds true:

Today, we spent a few hours at the hospital, where Georgia was getting the last two of 12 shots she's had over the last 12 days (two, every other day). The shots take only a few minutes, but we have to stay for observation for two hours in case she has another allergic reaction. While we waited, we snuggled up in the hospital bed together, watching the rain outside. I held her close and kissed her fuzzy head, and we decided that this was the best Mother's Day gift ever. And it was. 

Happy Day to the Mothers AND the Smothers - 
We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment