Monday, September 13, 2010

Whew!

What a weekend! It seems like we were going non-stop from Friday morning until Saturday night - which was especially surprising since Georgia's hemoglobin was quite low at her appointment on Friday, near transfusion levels, in fact. You never would have known it by looking at her! Amazing what sheer willpower, adrenaline, and a positive attitude can do. So she got the go-ahead to try full days at school, and we'll check her numbers again in two weeks. GO Georgia!
Giving it the Hook 'em Horns for National
Childhood Cancer Awareness Day!

The CureSearch Walk was very inspiring and a great success as well - it raised over $43,000 and counting! Our team page will be up for the next 90 days, so if you haven't made a donation yet, please click on the icon in the sidebar (which we upgraded with an awesome poster from the walk!) and consider helping to fund life-saving research in the fight against childhood cancer.

Pre-game pep talk

Georgia gets a medal from Rep. Lloyd Doggett

The Mighty Peachy Keens

Dr. Neff joined the fun, too!

Georgia and her friends Caitlyn (a leukemia survivor)
and her sister, Nicole - thanks for coming out, girls!

Fresh from her Nutcracker audition,
Ivy cheers on the Peachy Keens

Ice Cream Social re-cap and pictures to follow!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Way to go girls! Good job on the audition Ivy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's been a couple of weeks, but I wanted to say a great big THANK YOU for the heartfelt hug and words of encouragement you gave me at the close of the CureSearch Walk. I was on the committee last year, but this year, due to my own health issues & my Westin's sudden & unexpected passing on 2/26, the most I could contribute was to form a team and walk. I was so inspired by the turnout and by the children like Georgia and their families, who endured that hot walk and definitely made a difference. It was a very emotional day for me, but what I will remember the most are the kids, and the hugs that came from people like you. Georgia, I've been praying for you and will continue to do so, and will try to keep tabs on you as best as I can. You are obviously quite the fighter and a strong spirit, and are surrounded by people who love you. Even though Westin passed, I saw the power of that kind of love and the power of prayer work miracles for him more times than I can count -- I don't think it would be any different for you, so hold onto that. I pray that you will kick this cancer's butt to the curb, & that you will experience minimal suffering in the process -- no child deserves this journey, but it seems to me that those who must take it for reasons we won't ever understand tend to be God's most special children. Consider yourself to be the apple (or peach..) of His eye. I'll be keepin' tabs on you girl, and looking forward to seeing you with a survivor bandana on at next year's walk.
    Thanks again to your mama for that awesome hug.

    Most sincerely,
    Janet McCann
    In Westin's Footsteps
    (you can check out my little buddy's story at www.caringbridge.org/visit/westindietz
    I am his "Angel Janet" that you might see in pics; my husband and I are so honored to be forever linked with him by being included in his loved ones on his headstone, which is included in the pictures. I can't put any "label" on my relationship with that boy, but our families have become one over the 4+ years we've known each other. I fell in love with that boy at first sight back in April 2006, & continue to be blessed with his family, and with occasional dream visits in which he lets me know he is "perfect." The next time you hear a train whistle around here, think of him. He sends me a lot of those, too, usually when I need to hear them most.)

    God bless, Georgia!

    ReplyDelete